Community Marketing, Inc., (CMI) the San Francisco-based LGBT research and communications firm, has released its 6th Annual LGBT Community Survey®, a global snapshot on LGBT motivations, perspectives and purchases. The study was sponsored by Wells Fargo.
Among the findings for the 14,000 United States LGBT respondents who completed the survey:
- 77% of gay men and 84% of lesbians plan to vote for Barack Obama, and many are actively involved in financial and volunteer support. 76% of bisexual and 80% of transgender respondents plan to vote for Barack Obama.
- 82% of lesbians and 91% of gay men own “smartphones,” up 23% from 2011. The most popular smartphone is iPhone (with Android phones quickly gaining ground), and the most popular tablet is iPad.
- Straight men drink 3 times more beer than gay men, but gay men drink 50% more spirits/cocktails than straight men. Lesbians consume similar amounts of alcohol beverages as straight women.
- 49% of gay men under age 30 have a gym membership.
- In communications, the term “LGBT” is preferred by gay men over the term “GLBT.” The majority of both gay men and lesbians dislike the term LGBTQQIA.
The report presents additional findings on interaction with LGBT media, new clothing purchases, personal development products and services, brand attitudes, tobacco and alcohol consumption, LGBT fundraising and charitable giving, and much more. The study also tracks the explosive growth of mobile and social media, and early adoption of emerging technologies.
The LGBT Community Survey is an annual study, conducted in partnership with over 200 community-based magazines, newspapers, websites, blogs and mobile sites, as well as events, organizations and community centers. It presents a portrait of where the community is today, as well as trend observation and tracking. Aside from gay men and lesbians, a record 3,506 bisexual men, 1,499 bisexual women, and 721 transgender people participated in the study. CMI has been producing comprehensive research on the LGBT community for leading corporations, organizations and government departments for nearly 20 years.
Download a complimentary copy of the USA report by using this link: www.LGBTCommunitySurvey.com